Man bludgeoned to death in residential Phuket

From the Phuket News:

PHUKET: Police are attempting to identify the body of a man who was bludgeoned to death in a grievous attack in front of abandoned shophouse near Wat Thepnimit, in Wichit, early this morning (Oct 14).

Apparently the neighbours heard a loud argument last night that came to an abrupt end, and thought nothing of it until the man’s body was found this morning. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

Wichit Police Inspector Maj Somkid Onchan was called to investigate after the body was found in front of a three-storey shophouse in the residential area of Soi Sookniran 8 off, Chao Fa East Rd, at about 8:20am

Police arrived at the scene with Kusoldharm rescue workers to find the body of a man, estimated to be 25 to 30 years old, lying in a pool of blood in the parking area behind the locked gate to the home.

“The victim’s head and face had been severely beaten with a blunt object,” said Maj Somkid. “At this time, we have no clue who he was. We presume he had been dead for at least six hours before his body was discovered,” he added.

A piece of blood-stained wood and a piece of steel were found at the scene. Blood had also spattered over the wall near the body. Construction materials were nearby as the shophouse was under renovation.

“Forensic police are gathering all information and evidence at the scene and the body was taken to Vachira Hospital for doctors to confirm the cause of death,” said Maj Somkid.

The building owner told police that he had hired contractors to renovate the building and only “two or three” workers were living on-site, said Maj Somkid, who did not elaborate whether the victim was one of them.

Residents in the area told police that they heard people arguing loudly late last night. Apparently the argument stopped abruptly, and apparently nothing seemed odd to the residents until the body was found this morning, Maj Somkid reported.

“We think the victim was a construction worker who was attacked by a co-worker – or co-workers – with the piece of wood and the steel,” Maj Somkid said.

“It appears the victim attempted to flee by climbing the fence, but he lost consciousness or his attackers got to him first.

“However, we have to establish his identity first, only then can we proceed to find the suspect or suspects,” he said.